It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Any College Students/Degree Holders?

Any College Students/Degree Holders?

Post Any College Students/Degree Holders?
I'm curious to hear from those who have gone to college or are presently attending a college/university. What degree do you have or are pursuing?

The main thing I want to know is how you paid for it. This is quite the dilemma for many people these days. If you pay attention to the news, less people are attending college these days because they can't afford it. I fall into that category. I don't see how that can be good for our country, but whatever...

You're probably wondering why I don't take out a loan. Well, I've been there and done that. I'm a bit jaded from that experience. I had a loan on my car once, and I will never do it again. I paid it off and told myself I'll never get a loan in my life again. If I don't have the money for pay for something, then too bad.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:37 pm
Trainee
Trainee

Post Re: Any College Students/Degree Holders?
I'm currently in school, 3rd semester. I've had financial aid from the government. Its now even better since I don't have to claim my folks because I past that age mark. Getting close to $3k per semester is not bad, before I was only getting $3k per year.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:05 pm

jmerkt2010 wrote:
I'm currently in school, 3rd semester. I've had financial aid from the government. Its now even better since I don't have to claim my folks because I past that age mark. Getting close to $3k per semester is not bad, before I was only getting $3k per year.

Wow, very nice. I could certainly use that help! How did you go about getting financial aid from the Gov't? Is there a website you used? You are in the US, right? That would be something if I could get that.

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:58 pm
Trainee
Trainee

Hey Nocturnal,

Have you tried registering at FAFSA.gov ? From there you can determine your eligibility for Federal Financial Aid. I discovered this site because I was not able to get into school and needed my A+. Needless to say, I skipped my A+, paid off a school related debt which was preventing me from getting my financial aid and am now laying in a dormitory bed with a nice girl ;)

Not exactly due to watching the Professor's training videos, but I know a couple guys in my class who are getting their tuition paid for by worker retraining. There must be something available for you as well and the best place to begin your search is FAFSA.gov .

I wish you the best,

-Billy

PS: Apparently I forgot to check the timestamp, sorry for spamming an old topic!

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:10 pm
Expert Member
Expert Member

I have a one year certificate in Computer support and maintenance from Vancouver Community College.

My parents help me pay for the courses.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:46 pm
Profile WWW

BillyTheKid wrote:
Hey Nocturnal,

Have you tried registering at FAFSA.gov ? From there you can determine your eligibility for Federal Financial Aid. I discovered this site because I was not able to get into school and needed my A+. Needless to say, I skipped my A+, paid off a school related debt which was preventing me from getting my financial aid and am now laying in a dormitory bed with a nice girl ;)

Not exactly due to watching the Professor's training videos, but I know a couple guys in my class who are getting their tuition paid for by worker retraining.

Thanks for the very helpful post, BillyTheKid. The funny thing is, I have heard of FAFSA. I just totally forgot about it because at the time I wasn't thinking about college. Thanks for the reminder. I will give them a try. I have a little bit of a debt, but it isn't student loans related. Do you know if they look at any debt at all? How much do they give you per semester?

I'm glad you replied. Don't worry about the time stamp. If you think a thread has not been given a very good answer, always respond. It was only two months old anyway. Not like it was two years old! So thanks again for your reply.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:08 pm

nocturnal,

heey i want to knw that u r in school or completed uni/college? and after that u r doin A+ course??

r u doin it from any uni or TAFe??

plzz reply me as soon as possible...

and one private class which i knw is "Express IT".. do u knw what is that?if no thn raply me i will let u knw....

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:42 pm
Trainee
Trainee

Hey Nocturnal,

I have a university degree in finance and 2 college degrees in computer sciences. I am lucky anough to live in the province of Quebec in Canada. It is the only province in canada where college is completly free and university is heavily subsidised by the province. I have to admit though that when I was in university in the eighties I had a very rough time financially. There were many days in the first year where I could only afford food for my dog and not me. I then got a job as a night cab driver and was making more money in 3 nights a week than a big part of the population do not make in a week. Man if you can get a job as a hack you will not regret it. I finished university with a 10K debt. Not bad at all. Man it tough when you have only yourself to rely on but at the end of the day, its all worth it :o)

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:38 pm
Trainee
Trainee

I've got a A.S. in Electronic Systems Technology and an A.S. in Aviation Systems Operations, from the Community College of the Air Force. Obviously I got these while I was in the service. You get college credit for your tech school (which you can tell I obviously re-trained at one point to a new job). From there you mainly just have to clean up your general credits. Now I'm working on my B.S. in CIS using my GI bill. My wife on the other hand is using school loans to get through college.

Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:59 pm
Trainee
Trainee

Your debt has nothing to do with Fafsa, I should know. :)

Fafsa is government aid for people who need it, ie poor people who most likely have debt. As long as you are of age and don't make too much money you should get Fafsa no problem whatsoever.

From there you can even be granted student loans that you have to pay back but the good thing is you pay them back AFTER you graduate.

The only thing is, don't fail a class or its hard to get your fafsa back. You have to maintain a 2.0 GPA to keep it.

Good luck!

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:45 am
Trainee
Trainee

Ok so I totally didn't realize I was responding to a post that is two years old... lol

My bad..

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 am